A trip down memory lane

When I set out on my Africa adventure, I had every intention of writing a journal (which would turn into a blog) about each day of my stay in Zimbabwe.  However, I was naive about how much I would be doing each day, how much I would enjoy my time volunteering, and how little time would be left to try and keep the memories in writing.  As a result, I tried to spend as little time as I could capturing the daily events in a notebook so that I could spend more time playing with lions and then one day, shortly after my return to Calgary, be able to recall everything that I did while I was at Antelope Park.

Now, exactly, 54 days after I have returned home, I am delving into that notebook so that the memories don't fade.

A little background note:  My trip was 35 days long starting on May 3, 2012 and ending on June 3, 2012.  We (being myself and Alex, my partner in crime for the trip) spent our time mostly at Antelope Park, Zimbabwe as volunteers but we also spent nearly a week at Victoria Falls as tourists.  The flight was 36 hours long with far too many layovers in cities including Vancouver, London, Johannesburg and Harare.  Alex and I seriously started inquiring into the trip through African Impact in October 2011, placed our deposits for our spots at Antelope Park in November 2011, booked flights in January 2012 and confirmed our stay in March 2012.  

So clearly, this trip was highly anticipated and it exceeded my every expectation.

If I've convinced you already too book a trip to volunteer in Africa: go to:


*African Impact is the largest ground based volunteer organization in Africa with various projects throughout the continent, so you know they have to be good at what they do and the projects they present.  

No comments:

Post a Comment